Dinobot Swoop

I've been looking for decent figures of the Transformers Dinobots... unfortunately, Hasbro has NEVER released a good complete set since the original 1984 figures. So when I found the "TFC Star Cats Dinosaur Team" 3rd party set at normal retail price ($12 a figure, opposed to the traditional 3rd party price of $80 a figure) I jumped for joy and immediately picked it up. These dinobots not only transform into individual robots, but they can also combine into one giant one. However, I probably won't use the combined mode. So now, I'm slowly working on the four dino figures, and here is the first finished figure.
SWOOP!!! ...my all-time favorite Transformer (based on appearance alone).



The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom. As you can see, I fully re-painted the entire figure. In the original cartoon, Swoop had a blue torso, but I decided to base my paint scheme on the Fall of Cybertron game where ALL of the Dinobots are silver, gold, and maroon. Aside from color, I also did a few very large mods to this figure. One is that I cut the posts on each side of his head way down. They were supposed to peg into the arms when transformed into an arm for the combined mode, but since I'm never going to use that variation... Well, they're short "ear" pieces now. I also switched his right and left lower legs. I'm not sure if they were supposed to face the way they were facing or if maybe the figure was assembled incorrectly, but I think the legs work better now. The pin on the inside of the left knee pegs into the right knee when the figure is transformed and the feet are now sloped inward instead of outward. 


Side view. The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom.


Back view. The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom. I also un-pegged the missiles from the wings and moved them to the other side. This was done simply for better accuracy to the various character designs in both the TV show and the game, which always had the missiles on the bottom of the wings.


Left side view. The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom.


Dino mode. Front view. The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom. Basically, all the same mods and painting as in robot mode. 


Just thought I'd show off the hinged jaw. I always love it when a company goes that extra step to add more playability to a figure. The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom.


The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom.


Right side view. The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom. I should note here that I did fill in the screw ports on the side of the pteranodon face with putty and then painted it to match. The head now has a much more solid look to it.


Back view. The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom. Here, you can see how the robot lower legs (now a backpack) used to be flipped. The knees did not peg together, and the feet were angled outward. I like the switched look much better.


Left side view. The original figure is on the top. My custom is on the bottom.


Action pose!



And I also decided that the figure needed a new weapon. Although the Dinobot set came with a TON of weapons, I wanted one that would match the Fall of Cybertron Grimlock figure who has a translucent orange blade (a.k.a. "energy blade"). So I went to work building my own from scratch.

I drew out my design and then transferred it onto a sheet of fairly thick styrene. That was cut as the main blade section. I then redrew the design into pieces on a thin sheet of styrene and cut those out for layered detail. Next, I glued everything together and used some Aves Fixit Sculpt to fill in any spaces. Lastly, I added a craft jewel to the base and a cut section of plastic silly straw for the handle.


I also added random slits in the blade with an Exacto for some battle scars. Since the blade is translucent, these will stand out quite well.


Fully painted. The translucent blade was painted with Tamiya clear. The metallic sections were painted with a base coat of black and then a drybrushing of silver.


You can see how well those battle scars show up on the blade.


Weapon in hand. A PERFECT fit!